A car accident is often a traumatic incident with multiple consequences, such as personal injury, destruction of property, and even loss of life. Property repairs and medical bills could cost you a small fortune, all while you’ve been unable to work and suffer from lost income. That’s why when you are hurt and suffering due to another person’s negligent actions, you need a lawyer who can help you quantify the value of your claim, deal with insurance companies, and fight to win you fair compensation for your losses.
Table of Contents
Steps To Take After a Car Accident
Immediately after a motor vehicle accident has occurred, there are certain steps you can take to make your pursuit of compensation a lot easier.
- Contact emergency medical services in case there are seriously injured individuals. Once they check you and others, they will write a medical report which is vital evidence in the near future.
- Contact the police, who will assess the situation and maintain order at the scene. If they decide to cite the other party involved it will help prove fault. They will file an official police report that you can use as evidence in your claim.
- Use your phone to take pictures of video that you can use later, such as license plates, car damage, photos of the accident scene, etc. Record everything, even the most minor details, as you don’t know what will be helpful later
- Call a lawyer and start the process as time is of the essence after a car accident if you want to have a solid case to present. Call 1-800-VICTIM2 today to learn more information on the services we provide
Why Do You Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
A good car accident lawyer will take some pressure off by assisting with the litigation and negotiation procedures while you recuperate. They are more knowledgeable on law procedures when such incidents occur, which will be helpful in litigation. Let’s discuss why you need a lawyer after an accident.
1. They Will Do the Legwork to Obtain Evidence Needed
You should get a lawyer immediately after the accident so that they start collecting valuable information and documents. They will talk to the insurance company of the driver at fault. They will get police reports and evidence from the accident scene. They will get medical records and the hospital bill from your doctor to prove injuries sustained in the accident. They will then compile everything they have gathered and present it to the insurance company or courts on your behalf.
2. They Can Help You File Insurance Claims
You will need someone with experience dealing with insurance adjusters whose main job is to minimize your compensation. A lawyer will follow up with the police and ensure every piece of evidence is available for the insurance claim. They will also help you file the claims, write demand letters, and represent you in negotiations with the insurance company. Their job here is to get you the fairest amount based on the losses you have sustained.
3. They Can Help Determine How Much You Should Receive
A reputable lawyer will address all the ways the accident has negatively affected your life in order to properly understand the value of your claim. Your financial burden could cover areas such as emotional distress, lost income, inability to work, loss of consortium, and even punitive damages. After establishing what kind of compensation you can prove you deserve, the lawyer will go ahead and negotiate for what you’re owed.
Don’t Wait to Call a Car Accident Lawyer
A procedure needs to be followed immediately after a car accident if you want to receive maximum compensation. Since you might not be in good physical condition or frame of mind to deal with everything yourself, you will need a lawyer to help you. With the clock ticking due to the statute of limitation on filing claims after car accidents, a trusted lawyer is your best bet.