For many parents, the decision to let their teenage son or daughter drive can be a challenging one.
If you find yourself in such a situation, which way will you drive forward?
Letting them get their license may seem like a rite of passage to you and them, but make sure they are up to the challenge.
That said are you comfortable with your teen driving?
Weigh the Pros and Cons Before They Can Get a License
In looking at the pros and cons of letting your teenager get their driver’s license, be sure to take your time.
On the plus side:
· Responsibility – Having a license means being a responsible adult. This is true whether you are a young adult or one who has been around for decades. If your teen shows a lot of responsibility at this point in their life, a driver’s license can be a great reward.
· Help – If your teen gets their license, they may be able to help you out when it comes to errands, appointments and more. As an example, they could be able to drive to school, saving you the trip. They could also go to their own doctor appointments. What if they could run to the store for you? If they have a part-time job, they can drive there and back. Saving you trip time could be a positive for you.
· Future – Your teen will one day move out of your home. As such, getting them ready for the real world is important. By being responsible for a vehicle, they will learn one more important aspect of life as they grow up.
On the down side:
· Accidents – Although your teen could get hurt with you, the chances go up when they are on their own or with friends. With that being the case, you may worry about them behind the wheel.
· Trouble – If you raise a good child, you should not have to worry too much about them getting in trouble. That said having a vehicle at their disposal can lead to some problems. Will they make it home in time before curfew? Will they be a distracted driver? Such distractions can include using their cell phones when behind the wheel. While you hope your teen will steer clear of trouble, having a vehicle can be an issue for some young men and women.
Picking Out the Right Vehicle for Your Teenager
If you decide to sign off on your teen driving, what will they get behind the wheel of?
Some parents may opt to buy their children a new or used vehicle.
In the event you decide to go for the latter, you want to be sure you choose a safe and reliable car or truck.
In this pursuit, you can look at how a free VIN decoder can help.
With such an item, you learn if the vehicle has been in accidents, if the odometer reading is right, and any recalls.
Remember, you do not want to buy your teenager a vehicle that is not safe for them or others on the road for that matter.
So, if you are comfortable with your teen driving, is today the day they go and get their driver’s license?