A PhD in India ranges between 3 – 5 years generally. It is a course for students who want to research further and pursue Lecturership with top universities. Even the top IIMs in India also conduct such PhD programs for management aspirants who want to study further. At the IIMs, the PhD course duration spans over a period from 4 to 5 years.
Some of the research topics covered under the PhD courses at the IIMs are:
- Finance & Accounting
- Human Resource Management
- Information Systems
- Innovation and Management in Education
- Organizational Behaviour
- Production and Quantitative Methods
- Public Systems
- Regional Development
The average PhD course fee at the IIMs hovers around 30,000 to 40,000 INR per month. IIMs often absorb PhD scholars after completion of the program at lucrative salaries between 90,000 – 1,50,000 INR per month as Assistant Professor.
Here, we have handpicked the top 5 IIMs in India and shared the details about the PhD course details. We have covered the eligibility criteria and scope of the program as well. Read on to know about the college-specific details below.
Top 5 IIMs offering PhD courses
The PhD courses offered by the IIMs are offered to students who want to pursue a lectureship in business management with top universities across the world. Some of the courses offered by the IIMs are in the form of Fellowship programs (equivalent to PhD). Check the list of top IIMs offering PhD courses here.
|Top 5 IIMs||NIRF 2020 Ranking||PhD Courses||Topics Covered|
|IIM Ahmedabad||1||PhD in Management||Agriculture, Economics, Finance & Accounting, HRM, Information Systems, Innovation and Management in Education, Marketing, Organizational Behaviour, Production, Quantitative Methods, Public Systems, and Strategy|
|IIM Bangalore||2||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – Management||Science of Decision Making, Economics & Social Sciences, Finance & Accounting, Information Systems, HR & OB, Marketing, Production & Operations Management, Entrepreneurship, Public Policy, Strategy.|
|IIM Calcutta||3||PhD – Management||Finance & Control, Economics, HRM, Management Information Systems, Marketing Management, Operations Management, OB, Public Policy and Management, Development of Region, Sociology, and Strategic Management|
|IIM Lucknow||4||Fellow Program in Management (PhD)||Agriculture Management, Business Communication, Science of Decision Making, Economics, Finance & Accounting, HR, IT, Marketing, Operations, Strategic Management.|
|IIM Kozhikode||5||Fellow Program in Management (PhD)||Economics, Finance, Accounting & Control, IT, Marketing, HR & OB, Operations Management, and Strategic Management.|
PhD Admission Criteria at the IIMs
Studying at the IIMs, requires strong academic credentials, good scores in the entrance exams, and a creative mind. To study a PhD at the IIMs will also require a proven academic record right from 10th to Masters. In general, aspirants will have to pass their Master’s degree with at least 55% marks and should possess a minimum of 2 years of work experience.
Students holding a Professional Degree like CS or CA or BTech (4 years) are also eligible. Adding to this, CAT, GRE, GATE, GMAT, and UGC JRF scores are also considered for shortlisting applicants for the Final Rounds. In the Final Rounds, one has to sit for Written Test and PI conducted by individual IIMs for Final selection. Below, we have mentioned the PhD admission criteria at the IIMs for further clarity.
IIM Ahmedabad PhD: Eligibility Criteria
Applicants should hold the following eligibility criteria for pursuing PhD from IIM Ahmedabad:
- Test Scores of the following: CAT / GATE / UGC JRF / GMAT / GRE / ICAR-SRF). The mentioned Test Scores are not required if an applicant is a PGP or PGP-PMP, or PGPX Alumnus of any IIMs.
- One should possess either of the following degrees: Master’s, Post Graduate Diploma (2 yrs), CA / ICWA / CS with B.Com degree, B.Tech (4 Year Degree with 6.5 CGPA or Percentage).
PhD Eligibility Criteria at IIM Bangalore
- Students must have completed either a Master’s Degree (bachelor’s degree in 10+2+3 pattern, followed by a master’s degree) or a 5-year Integrated Bachelor’s + Master’s Degree after 10+2 in any discipline.
- Students must obtain at least 55% marks throughout.
- Any professional degree like CS, CA, ICWA will work with at least 55% marks or equivalent.
- Anyone with a BTech degree of 4 years or equivalent is eligible to apply. The minimum GPA required is 6.5 or equivalent.
IIM Lucknow – PhD Eligibility
Applicants should possess either of the following degrees:
- A Masters’ Degree or equivalent in any other discipline or BTech / Bachelor’s degree (4 years), or CA / CS / ICWA or PGDM (2-3 years).
- Applicants will need to score 55% in Masters, or 65% in BTech or Bachelors, or 60% in PGDM to apply for PhD at IIM Lucknow.
IIM Calcutta – PhD Eligibility Requirements
- Students must have obtained a Master’s degree or PG Diploma (2 years) in any discipline and a Bachelor’s degree (3 years). They must score at least 50% marks in aggregate to be eligible.
- Other than that, any professional degree holders with a degree in either CS or CA or ICWA with 55% marks are eligible to apply.
- BTech students must have scored 65% or higher to be eligible.
PhD Eligibility Criteria at IIM Kozhikode
- One must have either – Master’s Degree or a PG Diploma (2 yrs) with a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent CGPA.
- Any Professional certifications like the – CA, ICWA, and CS with a B.Com / Degree will work. One must obtain at least 50% of marks or equivalent.
- A B Tech applicant must have secured a 6.5 CGPA or equivalent.
So, these are the general eligibility requirements to study PhD at the top 5 IIMs. The criteria are somewhat similar at all the IIMs. The above information will offer students more clarity on the eligibility criteria at any of these best MBA colleges in India.
PhD from IIM: Dates of Upcoming Events
The application process for the PhD program at the top IIMs is over as of now. However certain events are scheduled to take place in the months to come. We have shared the dates of certain upcoming events at IIM Bangalore and IIM Raipur as per information on the official website:
|Colleges||Upcoming Events (Tentative Dates)|
|IIM Bangalore||Area Tests – 5th April & 6th April 2021
Interview Dates – 9th, 10th, 12th & 13th April (2021)
|IIM Raipur||Personal Interview and Result Dates to be announced soon|
Now, in the later section, we will share information about the scope of PhD at IIMs.
PhD Scope: Career Opportunities and Salaries
Students with bright minds and a liking towards the research part in management education often choose to pursue a PhD from the top universities. Post-qualification, they usually pursue lectureship at top colleges or universities in the field of management. As per reports, an Assistant Professor with 1-4 years of experience makes 3,50,000 – 4,50,000 INR PA. The package depends from college to college. The salaries of Assistant Professors at some of the top IIMs are:
- IIM Ahmedabad Assistant Professor Pay Scale (13A1): 1,31,400 – 2,04,700 INR per month.
- IIM Lucknow Assistant Professor Pay Scale (Grade 1): 1,01,500 – 1,67,400 INR per month.
- IIM Calcutta Assistant Professor Pay Scale (Grade 1): 1,01,500 – 1,67,400 INR per month.
Usually, all the IIMs either recruit their PhD students directly or get them placed at some of the most renowned universities in Europe, America, or Asia. Some of the top Indian and Foreign institutes where the PhD students get placed are:
- XLRI – Jamshedpur
- IFMR – Chennai
- Amrita School of Business in Coimbatore
- FLAME University, Pune
- IIM Indore
- IIM Trichy
- NITIE – Mumbai
- Loughborough University in the United Kingdom
- Durham University Business School in the UK
- Strathclyde Business School (UK)
- University College of London
- The University of New Brunswick in Canada
Recently the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship launched the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship programme (2 years) to train Fellows in partnership with the IIMs. Selected Fellows will receive Stipends between 50,000 to 60,000 INR.
PhD degree holders can also pursue jobs at top corporates in various management roles. Some of the common job roles and their respective salaries are mentioned below for PhD aspirants.
- Business Consultant: 9,00,000 – 12,00,000 INR PA.
- Business Analyst: 7,00,000 – 10,00,000 INR PA.
- Deputy General Manager: 28,00,000 – 36,00,000 INR PA.
Some of the top employers are:
- United Nations
- Mc Kinsey
- Boston Consulting
- Google and many more.
We are sure that the above information will give future applicants a good idea about the eligibility criteria and also the scope of the PhD program at the IIMs.