Having a hard time finding the perfect pair of jeans? Do you think that your body might just not be the kind meant for denim? Many people believe that denim is a “one size fits all” material and that if you can’t pull off one pair, you won’t ever look good in jeans.
Nothing could be further from the truth!
Like every other piece of clothing, jeans have to be customized according to your body shape and the style you wish to pull off. But not everyone can afford tailored fittings, so how do you go about this problem?
If you’re here looking for tips on finding premade jeans that flatter your body type, you’re in luck! Keep on reading our simple guide to learn how to pick the right pair among countless options.
Table of Contents
Understand Your Body Type
The most important step before buying a pair of jeans is identifying your body type. Body types can be broadly classified into three categories—endomorph, ectomorph, and mesomorph.
To find your body type, start by standing in front of the mirror. Using a measuring tape or your
own visualization skills, draw an imaginary line starting from your shoulders and ending at your
hips. Notice the differences between the measurements of these three main points; the bust, the waist, and the hips.
Note these down, and see if you identify with any of the three following body types.
This is commonly known as the plus-size body type, and it is one of the most common body types in adult women. You may be an endomorph if:
- Your waist is the most prominent part of your body/is the same size as your bust.
- Your waist is undefined.
- Your midsection and thighs carry the most weight of your body.
- Your chest circumference is over 44 inches.
If you’re an endomorph, here are some cute plus size jeans to help make shopping easier.
Making your waist more defined and hiding belly fat to accentuate your natural curves, these jeans are tailored to fit your body type.
Things to look for:
- High rise or high waisted jeans—perfect for curvier women who want to tuck their belly in and give their body a more hourglass silhouette
- Darker washes and colors like dark blue and black, ideal for women who want slimmer and long-appearing legs
- Bootcut and skinny jeans to help highlight your curves, especially when paired with your favorite heels
Things To avoid:
- Bright and light-washed jeans—they can make your legs look bigger
- Baggy and boyfriend jeans can make your figure look unflattering, showing it shorter and bulkier than it actually is
- Low-rise jeans are a big no as they give you that dreaded muffin top
The ectomorph body type is better known as the banana or rectangular-shaped body. It is your
classic thin frame “skinny” body that often struggles to gain muscle mass. You may be an ectomorph if:
- Your shoulders are narrower than your hips.
- Jeans are usually loose around your bottom.
- Your waist is slender and has roughly the same measurements as your bust and hips.
- You find it difficult to gain weight.
- The circumference of your chest is less than 37 inches.
As an ectomorph, the goal is to create illusions of a curvier body by adding definition to the
waist. And here are some great ways to dress your slender body.
Things to look for:
- Light washes and colors like light blue and white to give a more modern, aesthetic, and youthful appearance
- Cropped jeans are perfect for skinnier legs as they help hide them and give an illusion of a fuller figure
- Fitted low-rise jeans highlight your hips and give the illusion of a curvier body
- A contoured waistband will help define the waist, making curves look more prominent
Things To Avoid:
- Avoid dark washes and black jeans—they will make you look lanky and too tall
- High and mid-rise jeans may end up hiding your hips and making them look narrower
- Skinny jeans—they will fit too tight onto your legs and make them look a lot skinnier than they actually are
- Baggy, oversized jeans will either completely slide off of you or give off an untidy appearance that’s also unprofessional
This is better known as the hourglass and curvy figure. You are a mesomorph if:
- The size of your hips and bust is roughly the same.
- You have a small waist that curves inwards.
- You have a rounded and smart bottom.
- Your shoulders are slightly rounded, and your upper and lower body are considered proportional.
For a mesomorph body, fashion is a lot easier to manage, as the industry favors this
body type. That being said, there is no shame in further improving and highlighting your figure, especially if you have a larger hourglass body.
Things to look for:
- Dark denim and washes are still amazing for curvy girls as they give you a sexy and slim figure
- High-rise jeans are the most flattering on hourglass bodies as they help hide any possible muffin top and make your waist narrower
- Skinny jeans are ideal for mesomorphs as your hips and bust are already well proportioned. However, if you carry a little more weight on your thighs, avoid extremely tight fabric and go for more comfortable skinny jeans.
- Contoured waistbands give you a belt-like effect and bring the best out of your hourglass figure.
Things To Avoid:
Avoid baggy and oversized jeans. This includes boyfriend jeans as they further hide your figure
- Low-rise jeans—they look awkward and uncomfortable
- Large bootcut and flared jeans that make you look short and stacky
- Very light washes can make the bottom of your body look a lot bigger
- Jeans that are too long or made of stretchy material
At the end of the day, all bodies are beautiful and should be flaunted. Just because you are
not a certain body type doesn’t mean that you cannot rock a classic jeans look! By using the tips above, you too can craft the outfit of your dreams.